Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:alextemp
Subject:scan only 80211n channles, ieee80211n kismet.conf
Date:16:56:48 28/07/2013

> > Can anyone help me configure kismet.conf file channelist to only scan 80211n channels. I have seen another post that shows the HT n channels come up as 2764 and non HT n channels show up as 4044. I have seen on my own network n channels show up as channel 27648. Can anyone explain this or help me out please. I have seen how you can configure the kismet.conf file for b, a and ab networks with the line(ex for a):
> > channellist=IEEE80211a:36,40,44,48,52,56,60,64,149,153,157,161,165
> >
> > I have an alfa awus036nh b,g,n card working with backtrack5 kismet and it can capture n traffic but id like to filter under options ieee80211n if i could get the proper line entered in kismet.conf if it is doable.
> > If anyone has done this i'd really appreciate a hand.
>
> Scanning only 11n is a problem right now; it's waiting on me to rewrite the channel handling stuff which is currently underway. Until then you can manually force an 11n channel with iw, but you'll have to disable channel hop in kismet.

Thanks very much or the response. That is great it is being looked at for development. Is there any way to leverage the 2764 or 4044 channel numbers in the meantime? If you have time to explain, what do these numbers represent?

As far as I understand there are 14 20MHz possible channels in the 2.4Ghz range that are hopped through. There are also three possible 40Mhz bonded channels (two adjacent 20MHz together) that are non overlapping.

Anyone out there a question : would this mean currently if one was to have dedicated n collection, would you have to have 13 separate adapters on non hopping 20mhz wide channels and then 3 for 40Mhz channels for a total of 16 adapters one would want to cover all possible n channels? Or, is there more than 3 possible bonded 40MHz channels in the 2.4Ghz range?

I can see how the n hopping scan will be more difficult to implement if i understand it correctly.
Does anyone here have a good grasp on how this could theoretically be done? USB hubs many adapters? USB throughput may not be able to keep up though?

Reply to this message