Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Install kismet on Raspberry pi ,which ncsource type should I use??Please help me!
Date:18:36:33 09/07/2013

> I have installed kismet-2013-03-R0 on Raspberry pi.
>
> Hardware Platform:
> Raspberrypi 2013-05-29-wheezy-armel.img Debian GNU/Linux 7.0

> It's a usb wireless card which doesn't need driver.
>
> root@raspberrypi:~# lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
>

>
> why kismet can't auto decte my wireless card type??
> Any reply is ok.

Most likely because raspbian and those based on it deliberately disabled the good driver in the kernel for a lot of the micro-card realtek stuff, and are shipping an out-of-kernel third party driver.

Generally the out of kernel stuff doesn't have working monitor mode at all, if it does, it doesn't respond to the standard commands to control it.

Your BEST bet really, and it's not the most simple, is to get the kernel source package, re-enable the in-kernel driver, and rebuild the kernel/ramdisk/etc packages that way. I'm not entirely sure off the top of my head what driver you need, it might fall under the 8192cu or the 8188es.

There's also a chance that there is not currently a proper in-kernel driver for that chipset at all, in which case you're stuck with trying to figure out what driver is being loaded, and how it might support monitor mode.

Your other option, which isn't free, is to just get another USB device w/ a known good driver - anything from the atheros chipset family should work fine, just google 'atheros usb' or maybe 'atheros usb linux' and you should find a wealth of choices - not knowing where you live i don't know what's convenient to order from, lately I just get wifi cards off amazon.

Reply to this message