Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:kismet and 802.11n
Date:16:44:14 24/09/2012

> Hi,
> I am currently trying out the Wistron DNMA-92 wireless card. It supports 802.11n. I use it with the ath9k driver (for the 2.6.32-27 kernel).
> I have no problem using it with Kismet in any of the 802.11 a, b or g modes. I encounter difficulties in the 802.11n mode: I get the mac address of the clients, but the signal strength is blocked at 4. I only get a reasonable signal strength (ie. -30db) when a management frame is transmitted by the client.
>
> I can't figure out if this is a driver (ath9k) related problem, or I need to try out a different card (chipset problem?).
> My question is: is there any success story with kismet and 802.11n? In the documentation I see that it works with some cards. What are these? Are any of them miniPci? What driver?
> Thanks

Signal level is more or less directly piped from the per-packet headers. If you want to try to confirm they're being interpreted properly, you could open the wlanXmon interface in wireshark while kismet is running, and look at the signal levels there.

One problem kismet *does* have with 802.11n is that it can't, currently, cleanly handle the 11n extended channel weirdness. Linux implements the channels as, for example, 6, 6HT+, and 6HT-. I'm working on how ot get kismet to cleanly handle that.

Reply to this message