Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Mapping Questions
Date:15:12:11 15/05/2012

> Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> Unfortunately, I think some of this is a little beyond what I'm going to be able to easily accomplish here. The directional panel actually might be good though...that I may have to try.

You can get small sections of sheet metal from home improvement stores for a few bucks, if you want to experiment with shielding the back of the antenna; lowes and home depot both stock them, in lowes it's near the plexiglass and in HD it's near the rope and the threaded rod. (gee, have I been doing something like this? heh)

>
> I've been looking at windows products that will give you a good heatmap and they seem to work pretty well for what I need them for. Unfortunately it seems like the commercial versions are what I really need to set up a process to do this. I also like Kismet much better in that it will give you much more information if allowed to listen long enough...it just stinks that the heatmapping stuff is not really available anymore.

The real problems are:

a) signal level is often BS in monitor mode. The kismap heatmap code never touched it if I recall, it just used packet counts per quantized location

b) map sources went away. kismap scraped (technically against the ToS) maps off some of the original map servers for driving directions, and drew on top of them. These map servers have all since evolved or gone away.

I can think of a few ways to revive heatmaps using KML; I don't know when I'll have time to work on them but if you swing by IRC I'd be happy to chat more (#kismet on freenode, I'm often around).

I'm thinking to make a KML polygon heatmap, you'd generate a normal inverse-distance-weighted heatmap using either packet density or signal level, then quantize that into, say, 16 levels. Instead of using colors for these levels, you would then do a convex hull operation on the points, to find the outline which encloses them all (this code is also in kismap, still available in SVN). Then you make multiple polygons in KML out of the hulls, and you get a reasonably fast-drawing polygonal heatmap out of the deal.

This wouldn't solve the problem of having spikes in the heatmap - they'd turn into blobs... but it still might be an interesting operation.

Alternately, you could try to perform a concave hull / outline of the point cloud of that signal level, and it might be much more like what you want.

Reply to this message