Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:gadgeteer
Subject:OSX Lion Support
Date:22:56:59 27/02/2012

> > I've installed Kismet on my Macbook Air running OSX Lion and I"m unable to obtain the Airport card (en0) as a source. Based on a Forum comment in 2011, is Lion supported yet?
> >
> > If it is, then I must be doing something wrong in the config file for ncsource and/or with the OUI setup.
> >
> > My goal is to use Kismet to detect the SSID for some of my consumer electronics which are using a manufacturer-set N 5 Ghz network that doesn't broadcast its SSID.
>
> Kismet works fine with lion if you use a very recent version of lion (initial releases removed the wireless API; newer versions added it back).
>
> Make sure you're using a recent kismet (latest release, not something from one of the ports collections which is old), and make sure you point it at your wireless device and not wired.

That's great to know. I must have done something incorrect in my setup since I'm on the 2011-03-R2 release. Please take a look below at the errors and the setup info.

First, under System Preferences, it lists "en0" as the AirPort Extreme interface.

Second, in "kismet.conf" I added the following entries:

ncsource=en0:type=AirPort,hop=true

gps=false

Third, when Kismet loads, it tells me "Kismet started with no packet sources defined."

Fourth, when I specify "en0" as a new source in the application, it comes back with the following error in the console:

ERROR: en0: You don't have permission to capture on that device ((no devices found) /dev/bpf0: Permission denied.

Just before that error message, it reports

INFO: Darwin source en0: Looks like Snow Leopard (10.6) or newer is installed and CoreWireless knew what we were.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to this message