Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:newcore UI mud slow?
Date:21:45:45 24/10/2011

> Hey all,
> I had been using old kismet on thinkpad T60p (madwifi) with no issues. I had to recently rebuild the machine and put on a newer debian OS with ath5k driver. kismet compiled and installed but after launching the client it runs slower than molasses (molasses is generally high in viscosity). About 15s for the initial windows to appear and about 25 seconds for any keystrokes to register in the application. I can configure the kismet.conf and run kismet_server just fine. It starts, logs packets wonderfully, exits cleanly. The client however seems frozen for 25 seconds at a time. CPU is mostly idle so it's not looping. After I start the server from within the client UI, server console updates are also frozen for about 25 seconds at a time. Any ideas what I might be missing?

That's really odd. I've never seen that happen; the newcore UI is significantly better than the old one with large numbers of networks, not that you're even getting that far.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of weirdness in the select() loop on your system but I've never seen that happen.

Are you sure it's only the kismet client, and not the wifi drivers doing some nasty locking op that tanks the whole system? what happens if you run the server and then try to do something else, like vim?

Reply to this message