Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:hashes
Subject:Antennas for Kismet and wardriving. Questions.
Date:10:59:59 05/10/2011

Wardriving will be a part of my bachelor project. This part has to do with finding out what type of encryption today's networks have. But I might have overreached a bit, because as of now, I am reading about programs I have never used, about network cards, linux commands, antennas etc.

I got my config file in order. Kismet is detecting networks. Now, I have been reading pages and pages of ... stuff about antennas.I understand the theory when I read it, but that's as far as it goes.

1. Do I need an antenna? I understand that the laptop might not get all networks because it is in a car, but I don't need every network around for statistics. Or on the other hand, could the encryption type or manufactorer of the network(router) have anything to do with me not detecting the network, rendering the statistics wrong?

2. Most webpages mentions omni-directional antennas. And on Kismet forum I have read that 5db should be the most preferable. Is this what I need to buy?

3. Mostly, I read about antennas together with wireless network cards. Can I just buy an antenna for laptops which plugs into the laptop with a usb? Or will this complicate things and therefore my best option is a wireless network card with an antenna?

4. Is there a connection between the GPS and the antenna? Or do they "meet" for consultation inside Kismet? Sorry, couldn't really phrase this better.

I have read the README file, but I can't see too much about antennas. I searched the forum for antennas, but very posts emerged. I have read on many websites and forum posts through google, but I really don't know if the person answering is nonchelant about the information he or she gives out or if they really know what they are talking about. Just my own thought, since a lot of what I have read contradicts each other. So, my safest bet is Kismet forums.

Reply to this message