Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:General trouble getting Kismet running, v. 2011.01.1
Date:14:16:25 29/03/2011

> > Interface is the interface you plan to capture from.
>
> That being "wlan0" with the name and opts listed on the kismet.conf file? If kismet figures this on its own why then ask every time kismet is run?
>

Because most people find it convenient. Turn it off in your prefs if you don't like it. (Startup options)

> > You didn't install it suidroot, or you're not in the kismet group, or something in your distribution killed the suid bit on it.
>
> I uninstalled kismet through the ubuntu software center. then installed with "sudo dpkg -i kismet-2011.01.1.amd64.deb" this gave me:
> "dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kismet:
> kismet depends on libcap2-bin; however:
> Package libcap2-bin is not installed.
> kismet depends on libnl2; however:
> Package libnl2 is not installed."
> installed libcap2-bin and libnl2 through synaptic.
> that got things going. entered the interface information listed on kismet.conf file.
>

Perhaps ubuntu changed something and is preventing setting the suidroot stuff. You can set it manually on kismet_capture.

> as long as I run "sudo kismet" it works. I then installed the plugins and loaded them. Now all the networks that were listed prior are gone. I installed plugins as "sudo dpkg -i kismet-2011.01.1.plugins-restricted.amd64.deb" no errors. I see network names until I load plugins, then no names just limited packets in the packet graph. do these plugins work with these programs running in additional terminals?

Network list isn't stateful (ie, not saved between runs of kismet). It's odd that you're not seeing packets after activating the plugins - should have no impact. Are you sure you're not obscuring the network list by showing some other list? (This is being revamped so multi-phy stuff is unified in one list)

Reply to this message