Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:nightbear
Subject:a-Band APs not identified correctly
Date:16:45:59 07/09/2010

> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I´m running Kismet-2010-07-R1 on several machines and I´m observing a strange behaviour when it comes to reporting dual band access points.
> >
> > We have - amongst others - a Netgear WAG302v2 and a Cisco 1252 here operating at WPA2 on both bands. The 2,4 GHz SSIDs are reported correctly by Kismet but the 5 GHz SSIDs are shown as cloaked no matter if they are cloaked or not and under the "Crypt" column there´s a question mark. (These frequencies are displayed in green colour.)
> > Only these two access points are concerned, others ar being reported correctly.
> >
> > Did someone observe this behaviour before / does someone have a clue?
>
> Put a gzip'd packet cap up with at least a few beacons from each and I'll take a look. Preferably, a packet cap with tcpdump, so I can see the raw packets + signal headers your drivers are generating.
>
> I have not seen this behavior anywhere else. My guess is either a) the APs aren't configured quite how you think they are, or b) your card/drivers on the capture side are somehow being wonky.

Hello,

I just mailed you a wireshark dumpfile.

Some more information: The issue is independant of the encryption the APs use.
The issue occurs when I use Kismet on my Mac with an apple a/b/g/n atheros card and apple drivers, on my notebook with an atheros a/b/g/n card with ath9k driver and on another PC with an atheros a/b/g card and latest Madwifi driver.

An old notebook running Kismet_old shows everything correctly.

Reply to this message