Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:stomponthis
Subject:ath9k w/ kismet
Date:00:15:12 01/09/2010

> > Okay, sorry for the volume of posts but I'm getting somewhere.
> >
> > I noticed on the doc page for the iw command, "Note that in case you want to monitor 802.11n you will need to specify channel width (20 or 20/40MHz) and in case of 20/40MHz if the upper or lower channel is being used."
> >
> > SO.
> >
> > If I start kismet, with my source set to "hop=false", and then run "iw wlan0 set channel 11 HT20" (HT40- works too, doesn't seem to matter which one you pick) from another shell, kismet starts seeing packets.
> >
> > However, using "iw wlan0 set channel 11" without specifying HT20/HT40-/HT40+, I don't get any packets.
> >
> > The same applies when I use tcpdump, I have to set the correct mode ahead of time or I don't get anything.
>
> Changing packetsource_wext.cc from
>
> 689 if ((err = mac80211_setchannel_cache(interface.c_str(), globalreg->nlhandle,
> 690 nlfamily, in_ch, 0, errstr)) >= 0) {
>
> to
>
> 689 if ((err = mac80211_setchannel_cache(interface.c_str(), globalreg->nlhandle,
> 690 nlfamily, in_ch, NL80211_CHAN_HT20, errstr)) >= 0) {
>
> makes kismet hop and see networks without having to change it externally.
>
> I'm sure this isn't the correct solution, but it's a start.

Hey,

Do you still get the corrupt beacon frame issue with this solution?
I don't think the beacon frame issue is to do with Kismet, it seems to happen with airodump-ng as well, well also get funny AP SSIDs with different MACs which are essentially the same AP.
From one of your previous posts it sounded like you only got the beacon frame issue when Kismet makes its own VAP? Is that right? I think I have to do some more testing!
Regarding my /etc/config/wireless configuration, I include the hardware mode (hwmode) in the config file which specifies HT20, HT40- or HT40+. If you do this you may not need the fix you have added to packetsource_wext.cc. I also set the interface to be in monitor mode, but always create a new VAP with the "forcevap=true" line in kismet_drone.conf.
Unfortunately I am at uni at the moment and don't have my wireless routers with me to post the whole config. But the line I specify in the config is:

hwmode HT40-

From one of your original posts, it looks like you havn't included this in the config file.

Reply to this message