Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:stomponthis
Subject:OpenWRT Drone @ Kismet-2010-07-R1
Date:10:50:17 09/08/2010

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to update our drone software to Kismet-2010-07-R1, but its not clear how to do this.
> > >
> > > Can someone confirm I am on the correct track please, when I assume that I need to compile this myself for the particular platform? (AR2315 based router).
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Mike
> >
> > Hey Mike,
> >
> > Yeah, have to compile for the specific platform that you intend to use.
> > During my experience, I compile a complete firmware image with OpenWRT and include Kismet in the buildroot process. I only have experience using OpenWRT, but it seems to be the best platform for this sort of application.
> >
> > Couple of links you may find helpful if you are intending to use OpenWRT:
> >
> > Makefile for 2010-01-R1 (if you want to use 2010-07, couple changes are needed to point to correct package and md5sum)
> > https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/21886
> >
> > How To for kismet newcore on OpenWRT
> > http://redlinesec.blogspot.com/2009/08/kismet-newcore-openwrt-cross-compile.html
> >
> > Like I mentioned in another post, Renderman has written a new guide covering drones and OpenWRT. Its only on Hackers For Charity at the moment, but he said it would be released publicly in the near future. I would subscribe to the website to read it, however, I am a poor thesis student. It will definitely be a good guide. Oh, and maybe check out the "Kismet Hacking" book, got some good info on drones, but a little old now, and focuses on the old Kismet versions.
> >
> > If you have any success, could you pop up a post, I am still having issues connecting to my 2010-07 build. But 2010-01 is working well for me at the moment.
>
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for the info.
>
> I have been using the redinlinesec guide but must admit I can't get it to compile, i'm at a stage where there are multiple errors with util.cc. If I manage to get a working compile I will be happy to update the list.
>
> Perhaps I should try 2010-01 - is that a similar procedure for compiling, and does it identify drones in the output XML (which is the only reason I am updating).
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,

First thing, I should have added one more option for getting a Kismet drone upgraded. It is possible to use Backfire stable (10.03) firmware, and the Kismet package from their repositories. But it is Kismet 2009-06-R2, which is one of the first versions of newcore. This is by far the easiest method (no compiling etc.)

As for you issue, are you using the Makefile from the redlinesec guide? That makefile is different to the one on OpenWRT trunk (the other link I gave above). If your using the makefile from redlinesec you will get errors, lots of them, and have to several tweaks to get it to compile. The makefile from OpenWRT works far better, no errors for me and I have compiled numerous times.

If this isn't causing the errors you are talking about in util.cc is it the warning about 'packed attribute ignored' (or similar, can't remember off the top of my head). Don't think its a big deal, my drone worked perfect and I get that warning on compile. Guess your checking out the output of ./configure when compiling OpenWRT? Can always provide a lot of info.

I don't think Renderman officially released his guide, but I stumbled over it doing some google searches.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/newcore/newcore-drone/drone.html

I recommend using the guide as a base, very concise and clear. Hope I didn't step on any toes posting that here, given that it is on HFC, and Renderman didn't announce the publicly available copy on his blog. Think I will have to get a HFC t-shirt to contribute to the cause :P

Oh, and not sure about the drone and XML question in logging. Probably have to wade knee deep through the changlelog/checkin to find out.

Reply to this message