Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:mikew
Subject:OpenWRT Drone @ Kismet-2010-07-R1
Date:08:27:18 09/08/2010

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to update our drone software to Kismet-2010-07-R1, but its not clear how to do this.
> >
> > Can someone confirm I am on the correct track please, when I assume that I need to compile this myself for the particular platform? (AR2315 based router).
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike
>
> Hey Mike,
>
> Yeah, have to compile for the specific platform that you intend to use.
> During my experience, I compile a complete firmware image with OpenWRT and include Kismet in the buildroot process. I only have experience using OpenWRT, but it seems to be the best platform for this sort of application.
>
> Couple of links you may find helpful if you are intending to use OpenWRT:
>
> Makefile for 2010-01-R1 (if you want to use 2010-07, couple changes are needed to point to correct package and md5sum)
> https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/21886
>
> How To for kismet newcore on OpenWRT
> http://redlinesec.blogspot.com/2009/08/kismet-newcore-openwrt-cross-compile.html
>
> Like I mentioned in another post, Renderman has written a new guide covering drones and OpenWRT. Its only on Hackers For Charity at the moment, but he said it would be released publicly in the near future. I would subscribe to the website to read it, however, I am a poor thesis student. It will definitely be a good guide. Oh, and maybe check out the "Kismet Hacking" book, got some good info on drones, but a little old now, and focuses on the old Kismet versions.
>
> If you have any success, could you pop up a post, I am still having issues connecting to my 2010-07 build. But 2010-01 is working well for me at the moment.

Hi,

Many thanks for the info.

I have been using the redinlinesec guide but must admit I can't get it to compile, i'm at a stage where there are multiple errors with util.cc. If I manage to get a working compile I will be happy to update the list.

Perhaps I should try 2010-01 - is that a similar procedure for compiling, and does it identify drones in the output XML (which is the only reason I am updating).

Thanks again

Mike

Reply to this message