Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Mick410
Subject:Help needed Kismet AirPcap Windows XP
Date:00:48:54 03/07/2010

Can I ask if your logs are saving? I have tried to point Kismet to Cygwin directories and Windows directories without any luck. On a new install, Kismet from CACE is supposed to save to the logs sub-folder of the Kismet install. Logs have never saved for me on 3 different machines, 2 XP and 1 Win7.

> SUCCESS!
>
> I started working through the console errors to try to resolve them.
> First the OUI file could not be found. All of the references in the kismet.conf file were "Linux format":
>
> ========
> # OUI file, expected format 00:11:22<tab>manufname
> # IEEE OUI file used to look up manufacturer info. We default to the
> # wireshark one since most people have that.
> ouifile=/etc/manuf
> ouifile=/usr/share/wireshark/wireshark/manuf
> ouifile=/usr/share/wireshark/manuf
> ========
> I found the manuf file in the Cygwin folder (seperately installed?) and added a line to kismet.conf pointing to it:
> ++++++++
> ouifile=C:\Progra~1\Wireshark\manuf
> ++++++++
>
> I don't have GPS so I set gps=false.
>
> Then a new error - Kismet was complaining that it couldn't find a suitable network adapter. Based on the automatic finding of previous runs, I added the following to kismet.conf:
> +++++++
> ncsource='\\.\airpcap00'
> +++++++
>
> That got rid of all the ERROR: messages in the console window, but still it complained that it could not find the cygwin terminal, so I started up Procmon (from Sysinternals) and started kismet. I went through the procmon output searching for errors. I found that kismet_client.exe was trying to find cygwin files in C:\Documents and Settings\walts\.terminfo\63\ which didn't exist. The same files it was looking for existed in C:\Documents and Settings\walts\.terminfo\c\ so I created the 63 folder and copied the files into it.
>
> Now Kismet is working!
>
>
> Thanks to all the help pointing me along the right path to solving this. dragorn, you seem to have connections to Cace - would you pass along this information to the appropriate people? If I can help in further testing, please let me know.
>
> Walt :-)
>
>
> > I'm away from that machine for now, but I'll try to get to it later tonight. For starters, you have to have a CygWin install. Kismet is going to look for files in CygWin's directories. There are also temp files created in \Home when Kismet is run. I changed the config file to use my Garmin serial GPS instead of GPSD. Most of the other adjustments were to the paths for the OUI database and plugins.
> >
> >
> [SNIP]

Reply to this message