Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Mick410
Subject:Help needed Kismet AirPcap Windows XP
Date:14:17:16 01/07/2010

I am having trouble running AirPcap NX on two different Windows platforms also using CACE's installer. You definitely need CygWin for it to run at all. The included DLLs from CACE are not cutting it for me. I already tried a fresh install of CACE's driver, CygWin, and the Kismet install from CACE's website. I can tweak the config file to get Kismet to run and I can further tweak it for the GPS to work too, but I have not been able to get any logs to save.

I tried a manual install using instructions from the Kismet documentation and another manual install using instructions from Renderman's website. All of the documentation is written for older builds. I get a few minor complaints during configuration, but I have not been able to execute make or make build without errors.

I haven't been able to get any help from CACE, and I haven't had the time yet to devote to serious troubleshooting before I ask for more help here.

> > > > > [Starting the Kismet client]
> > > > > Error opening terminal: cygwin.
> > > > > --------------------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > your cygwin/ncurses install is somehow broken
> > > >
> > > > -m
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Originally I did not have Cygwin installed. After running the Kismet installer and getting the error messages (Wireshark had been installed previously), I installed Cygwin from their website, but it did not change anything.
> > >
> > > I will try again to start from a "clean slate" - remove Kismet, Wireshark and Cygwin and then install fresh.
> > >
> > > Walt
> >
> > I know a cygwin install, with devtools, libcurses, etc, and the latest kismet svn builds & runs fine with airpcap - just got tests with that complete.
> >
> > I'll talk to Loris about redoing the exe installer they built, but I believe he's about to expand his family and is likely distracted at the moment.
>
> Thanks.
>
> FWIW I repeated the procedure on a Windows 7 machine - installed the AirPcap drivers, then Kismet, and got the same result as I had on the XP machine. There is no separate install of Cygwin there, and there is a copy of Wireshark.
>
> I have version 2010-01-R1 running on Linux but I really want to be able to use it with AirPcap. Is there a manual installation procedure for Windows? I couldn't find one on the Cace website.
>
> Walt

Reply to this message