Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Sensitivity threshold in monitor mode
Date:17:11:39 17/06/2010

> Hi all,
>
> I create an ad-hoc network between two computers and a file is transmitted from one computer to another. At the same time kismet is running in each computer. I repeat the process increasing the distance between computers. I can note that when the distance is about 50 meters or higher, kismet can not capture all received packets while the other interface in ad-hoc mode receives all packets without problems. If I increase more and more the distance, kismet captures less and less packets.
>
> Is it possible that the sensitivity threshold is lower when wireless card is in monitor mode than in ad-hoc mode? I try also permuting two wireless cards, but the result is the same.
>

There is no physical reason, it's possible your drivers suck.

However, if you leave Kismet channel hopping, you will only be on the channel your network is using a fraction of the time. As you go further away, you are less likely to see packets from overlapping channels, giving a perceived loss of sensitivity - when really, your card is listening just the same, you need to lock kismet to a single channel (via the kismet menu->channel in the UI)

Reply to this message