Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:pcdude2143
Subject:Kismet XML + GPX = Google Earth
Date:09:37:42 22/01/2010

> > I wrote a python module that will take a GPX and Kismet XML and merge them into a KML. Check it out at http://code.google.com/p/kismet-gpxmerge/ and tell me what you think. More updates to it will come soon. Right now it's in alpha stage, but it does work, mostly. The only quirk is that you have to edit a variable before it will work properly. It was mainly written for 'stupid' GPSes that don't have any interfaces, like the the TomTom ONE.
>
> An interesting idea - maybe coordinate with Xile who did GISKismet and roll support into one package?
>
> So long as your times are relatively well synced this should work fairly well, though.
>
> -m

That also is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that later. It does work well, but the problem I'm running into right now is that no type of output file from Kismet actually gives me the max signal strength time, so when I tried it out it understandably clustered most of the routers in our neighborhood around our driveway. Also, my grandmother's router, which is about a half mile or so away, still managed to appear in our neighborhood momentarily, so that's where it got plotted. Inaccuracies like that aren't acceptable to me. I was thinking of writing a second module to socket into Kismet and log that information to an object file, but that might not be the best way.

I get five different types of files from Kismet: Cisco, CSV, dump, network, and xml. Are there any more file types? Which one (if any) would contain the max signal strength time?

Reply to this message