Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:reddiepenguin
Subject:Cisco Wireless Devices show up on multiple channels?
Date:06:28:33 06/12/2009

I see what you mean now but this network comes up with the same SSID like 6-8 times each one saying either ch 1, 6, or 11.

If you wanted to scan a network like that, how would you do that?

Kismet from what I can tell tracks one BSSID, so I don't know how you would track each one as a big network.

EDIT: I think I understand this now and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Say I have a laptop connected to "AP #1" on Ch. 6, but someone else is on "AP #3" on channel 11.

Would I ever see their traffic, or strictly only my AP? I mean do multiple AP networks normally have every single AP send out the traffic in case the user moves around?

Seems like if it didn't, it could cause a fair amount of data loss, especially if using UDP type stuff. Especially if AP #3 is trying to send the user traffic, but all of the sudden, they walked in to area only AP #1 can see them, causing AP #3 to send the data over the air where it's lost.

> > I was testing out Kismet on my laptop and a test AP, and in the area is a place that has one of those CISCO WiFi's that point you to https://1.1.1.1 and some ask you for email others just ask you to hit accept.
> >
> > Does anyone know if these devices just listen on channel 1, 6, and 11 or more channels or what's going on with them.
> >
> > I tried looking up CISCO Wireless devices but can't seem to find much information on them as to why I'm finding them on multiple channels.
> >
> > Another question, Kismet nicely follows test networks because they stay on one channel, but how would you properly follow a network that has 3 channels?
> >
> > I know you probably could do a channel hop telling Kismet only 3 channels, but that seems like you would miss things here and there.
> >
> > Is this a security measure so networks can't be followed as easily or just for convince of wireless clients?
>
> I think you're confusing APs with logical networks.
>
> An AP is on one channel. Always. It can change these channels, but a single radio is on a single channel. A dual-radio AP will have 2 mac addresses.
>
> For multi-ap networks that support roaming, all the APs are on different channels and happen to work together, but from the physical level there's nothing special about them - kismet is tracking at the BSSID level.
>
> If you want to monitor 3 channels at once, you need 3 cards tuned to 3 channels, or you need to accept the loss incurred in channel hopping - you won't see traffic on other channels.
>
> Some enterprise gear can dynamically select channels to avoid interference, in which case you'd see one BSSID moving between channels. This won't happen that often though, so I doubt that's what you're seeing here.
>
> -m

Reply to this message