Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Issue with Kismet and OSX Snow Leopard
Date:18:25:20 17/10/2009

> > Ok, I got kismet running. BUT it cannot change channels so its functionality is seriously limited. When trying to change the channel this is the error.
> >
> > Please let me know if anyone knows what to do.
>
> Apple removed channel control via ioctls.
>
> Don't upgrade to snow leopard, or don't use an OS that arbitrarily changes the API with no backwards compatibility between revisions.
>

Some initial snow leopard support in SVN, however don't count on it working all the time (or even half the time. Sometimes it starts working after a minute or two of not working.)

The new API from apple has no real docs, no explanations of the errors, no C or C++ interface, and no mechanism to set the interface mode (it can tell you if it supports monitor, but has no way to set monitor. great!)

It'll also throw a TON of warnings on compile - there is no fix, and will be no fix, for this, because Apple decided not to release a compatibility mode for pre-snow leopard, or any other sort of crossover functionality. Don't try to compile with -Werror on OSX. Kismet has to dynamically try to load the CW bundle and manipulate it w/out the benefit of the headers (since they don't exist, and can't exist, when compiling on 10.5)

Can you tell how thrilled I am?

-m

Reply to this message