Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Problem with getting kismet to work
Date:17:12:31 03/08/2009

> I recently installed kismet newcore on Red Hat Enterprise. I put my wireless card into monitor mode (Using an Orinoco Gold card by Lucent Technologies) and started up Kismet.
> then i get a sources warning dialog box that says it has detected "orinoco_cs" driver for interface eth1, and that this driver will not report packets in rfmon under many firmware versions. it says kismet will continue to try and use it, but if i dont see packets, to consider changing firmware on card. I click ok.
>
> Now, I can see networks for sure, and the menu on the side says that there are packets. But the packet graph only runs when Kismet first starts, shows me how many packets, and then never changes.
>
> Also I keep seeing at the bottom of the screen:
>
> INFO: Detected new managed network...
> ERROR: Failed to set channel [different channels here]: Device or resource busy

You're unfortunately using an absolutely ANCIENT card (about 10 years old) which has funny firmware and funny drivers. It's not a combination you're likely to enjoy much.

My best advice is get a card which has better driver support and a more modern architecture (orinoco is basically first-gen 11b). The Alfa 11g (NOT 11n) USB or anything Atheros should probably work w/out any hassle.

-m

Reply to this message