Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Can Kismet identify links between wireless APs and clients on networks using strong encryption?
Date:22:06:23 21/05/2009

> I'm trying to gather info. about an attack on my wireless network. I have the following information from the source of the attack: a host name, an IP address and a MAC Address. I believe I have identified the AP or router used by the attacker and have an SSID. If this network uses strong encryption will I be able to get enough info. from Kismet to link the two? I'm using WinXP but I've installed Linux on a couple of my machines to try to use Kismet.

I don't understand what you think you're tracking.

If you've got someone attacking YOUR wireless network, then you know the SSID (it's yours) and you know the encryption (it's yours) so if they're using your network to perform an attack you'd want to watch them from your gateway.

If they're on another network near you, they're not attacking your network, since they're not ON your network.

If you think they're on your network and then on their own, yes, you can see that the client mac is moving between your network and another network.

-m

Reply to this message