Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:piwowk
Subject:orinoco source availability stable vs. newcore
Date:15:22:10 13/05/2009

> > > I have a Linksys WCF-12 that works under stable (2008-05-R1) but not under newcore. Is the card no supported (yet?) in newcore
>
> If you can get a pcap of what it's doing I'll see if the drivers have changed something and are reporting subtly broken frames or something, leading to kismet discarding them.
>
> -m

It's not a capture issue. I've compiled both 2008_05_R1 and newcore with the same toolchain for a cross-compile target. Assuming the interface is up, the R1 server initializes it and begins capturing normally (source=orinoco,wlan1,Linksys). The newcore version uses "ncsource=null" or "ncsource=wlan1:type=orinoco", with the first source config it fails with "ERROR: Failed to find a type for auto-type source 'null', you will have to tell
Kismet what it is by adding a type=[card type] to the ncsource config
FATAL: Failed to add source 'null', check your syntax and remember Kismet
recently changed how it handles source definitions!"
the second fails with "ERROR: Invalid type 'orinoco'; Unknown, or support was not compiled into this
build of Kismet, check the output of the 'configure' script if you
compiled Kismet yourself.
FATAL: Failed to add source 'wlan1:type=orinoco', check your syntax and
remember Kismet recently changed how it handles source definitions!"

I've noticed that the R1 configure output indicates "Linux Netlink capture: yes" but that the configure output for newcore lists "... no" for all the "checking for netlink*" statements. At this point I think it's probably a build-time discrepency.

Keith

Reply to this message