Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:eeebuntu on 701SD 8g
Date:05:52:26 13/04/2009

> Have installed Kismet, took a few attempts to find the right source, but have settled on ath5k or ath5k_ag. Both seem to work the same.

ath5k is 11b channels, ath5k_ag is 11a and 11b channels.

> First trial on a drive to town seemed to go well, showed about 30 networks. But at home seems really weird. I live in an area where block sizes are 1 acre ( 4000 square metres ), and I can't get my own AP from my house to the garage (normal I think). Yet when I sit in my office and run Kismet I get my own AP, plus around ten <no ssid>'s. Last night after about an hour it got up to over 200 of these <no ssid> AP's, some open but most not. (No other named AP's). Have I got ghosts? Also, after that hour, there was no IP range on my AP even though I accessed it from other computers wirelessly.

No way to know w/ no info about how your network is set up. If it's encrypted, Kismet won't be able to do any IP tracking.

Strange networks with no SSIDs usually indicate a driver problem where it returns invalid packets but doesn't indicate them as such and Kismet tries to process them. Alternately, some strange device near your home network is changing it's MAC and making networks. You don't say if they're ad-hoc or not, an unassociated adhoc device trying to make a connection could make a new network every 30-40 seconds.

-m

Reply to this message