Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Buffer
Subject:Kismet Log and GPS Data
Date:19:08:56 04/02/2009

Greetings All,

This is my first forum post. My name is Ross ( or Buffer ;] ), I'm a senior undergraduate in computer science in the USA. I've been reading the boards all morning and figured I'd post before I continued reading.

[ Introduction: ]
This semester, I'm doing a research project as an extension of some other projects I've been working on for the past 1.5 years. I'll explain to project and then ask a question pertaining to Kismet.

Basically, I am creating an iPhone application to log data and generate coverage maps of WIFI networks around my campus. The meta-purpose of this is to show the university staff a visual representation of our WIFI community as well as show the extent of rouge access points potentially interfering with the official campus wireless network.

The first step of course is logging wireless data from the iPhone, then dumping and analyzing it from my computer.

[ My Question: ]
What has been on my mind for the past week is how to analyze the data I collect. I'm familiar with Kismet and some other air tools. A friend of mine reminded me that Kismet has built in GPS visualization and I am curious as to whether or not this might be useful for me in my project.

From what I've read so far about Kismet, the AP log and the GPS log have to have synced timestamps. I am pretty sure I can do this if I'm scanning APs and logging GPS info from the iPhone. Assuming I can, what other aspects do I need to consider in post-logging analysis? Also, could someone post or email me some sample data from the AP log and the GPS log so I can clone their structure in my application?

Thanks friends! I look forward to diving in here and getting some great feedback.

-Buffer
{-- buffingtonr [AT] gmail [dot] com --}

Reply to this message