Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:xbmwvz
Subject:About kismet usability ...
Date:22:04:49 01/02/2009

> Hi, after seeing those "issues" from about 2 years, hoping in some evolution, now I want to give a pair of suggestions about kismet usability:
>
> 1) The kismet.conf says:
>
> # Source types and required drivers are listed in the README under the
> # CAPTURE SOURCES section.
>
> Well, is so complicated to include this list directly into the kismet.conf file? Because searching around for a README file (and every distro put this file in different places, and many people delete docs to save space, e.g. in eeepc laptops) every time is very, very annoying!!!
>
> 2) It's so complicated to do something like lspci | grep Wireless, and a couple of grep, sed, awk, to let kismet know by himself what damn wireless card is installed on the system? I really can't manage why in 2009 I have to tweak a config file to make a program work for me. This is very annoying and time-consumptive in many wardriving situation; having an automatic configuration of the wireless card (maybe with a chooser, in case there are 2 or more) is a great thing to do for having a more pratical and usable tool, like it has to be.
>
> (Yes, I know how to do all those steps by hand, but i'm talking about usability. I'm tired to do the same damn stuff every time I configure kismet on a laptop; I'm expecting some evolution in the program, and so I'm here suggesting solutions :) )
>
> (No, I can't code this by myself; maybe in bash scripting, but I'm not a coder anymore :) )

It takes very little effort to find out what is required to get kismet working, and once you know your appropriate drivers you should be able to remember them ;)

Reply to this message