Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:NEWCORE & 802.11a CHANNEL_ID
Date:09:47:34 07/11/2008

> > What is a "channel id"?
> >
> > What source are you using? What drivers? How recent is the code you're running?
> >
> > -m
>
> channel_id is the channel number, Kismet Newcore "says" that in 802.11a it can't get any information about the channel_id (or something like that)... but it means channel number.
> i don't know how recent is the code but grabbed it via svn yesterday morning.
> i'm using an Ubuntu 8.10 with latest MadWiFi inside and Atheros chipsets PCMCIA.
> thanx

So you mean the 11a channel. This should be inherited from the rtap headers since 11a beacons don't advertise the channel, but I'll check.

EDIT: Made sure beacons inherit the l1 channel when available and no channel defined in the beacon

> p.s.: btw, in Ubuntu 8.++, with latest MadWiFi drivers, Kismet doesn't get the absolute signal level in dBm but it shows the difference between the signal and the noise level! even if the driver works correctly and the interface alone gets the signal in dBm! i tested this, even with other applications/platforms! i'm sure!

Madwifi is lying then and putting the SNR in the dBM field of the rtap header, but I'll look when I need to reboot anyhow.

EDIT: Confirmed, the radiotap code only takes DBM_ANTSIGNAL and DBM_ANTNOISE, it's ignoring any SNR fields and the DB_ANTSIGNAL/ANTNOISE fields, so I'm going to blame madwifi for putting the wrong values in on this one.

Testing w/ other applications, unless they use rfmon and the radiotap headers, is irrelevant.

-m

Reply to this message