Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

 

Posted by:RNewman
Subject:Driver access difference between devl and newcore
Date:04:31:28 19/09/2008

> > > > I've been able to isolate where the problem, but not what is the cause. From my gdb experience I kept see the Packetsourcetracker::Poll just spinning and falling through the Sweep. desc kept showing a positive value, meaning that FD_ISSET kept returning 0. I commented it out in the Poll function and new-core server started to collect packets and record networks. Unfortunately while the client connected to the server, nothing was displayed in the UI screen.
> > > >
> > > > It appears that something has changed with the SELECT/FD_SET/FD_ISSET in the later kernels. I'll let you know if I find it.
> > >
> > > I'm running the latest released kernel for this test. Nothing has changed with select behavior - nearly every program on the system would fail if it had.
> > >
> > > It sounds, actually, like you may have an old libpcap which isn't handling things properly. Make sure you have the latest.
> > >
> > > -m
> > And the light bulb may have just gone off. I'll pull the latest libpcap and let you know the results. I dug deeper in the code yesterday and realized that if the select/pd_isset were not functioning then lots of stuff would stop working.
> >
> > Thanks for being so patient with me.
> > -Richard
>
> Well I removed the libpcap-dev and libpcap0.8 packages from my server. Downloaded both tcpdump and libpcap0.9.8 sources, compiled and installed both.
> Recompiled kismet. And, still the same, no luck. Very frustrating. I'm sure there is something missing from my system, but I can't find it.
>
> I ran a tcpdump and had it write out a raw packet file. I used pcapfile as the source and re-ran new-core server. Nothing. I ran the file through the devl branch and it works.
>
> So apparently I'm missing something newly required by new-core that was either built in or not needed in the older branch.
>
> I'll keep digging.
> -Richard

Okay, I think I've figured this out. Very strange to say the least. In all my testing and configuration I've been setting gps=false since I don't have a gps device. This morning I left the value as true and started up the new-core server. Guess what, it works! Now at least I have something to work from. Since I haven't looked at that part of your code so I'm not sure what is going on, but I'll take a look.

Thanks...
-Richard


Reply to this message