Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:bulgin
Subject:filter_tracker, dump, export confusion
Date:20:01:44 01/09/2008

I am confused over the differences between filter_tracker, dump, export. The kismet.conf file specifies:

Packet filtering options:
# filter_tracker - Packets filtered from the tracker are not processed or
# recorded in any way.
# filter_dump - Packets filtered at the dump level are tracked, displayed,
# and written to the csv/xml/network/etc files, but not
# recorded in the packet dump
# filter_export - Controls what packets influence the exported CSV, network,
# xml, gps, etc files.

However, if I use a directive such as filter_tracker=BSSID(00:14:70:EF:D8:B9) all the data matching that bssid is recorded in the packet dump, despite the explanation above, "Packets filtered from the tracker are NOT processed or RECORDED in any way"

If I use the directive such as filter_dump=BSSID(00:14:70:EF:D8:B9) the data matching this also makes it into the packet dump file despite the explanation above from the kismet.conf file, "Packets filtered at the dump level are tracked, displayed,and written to the csv/xml/network/etc files, BUT NOT
RECORDED in the packet dump"

And again, if I use the directive filter_export=BSSID(00:14:70:EF:D8:B9) the data matching this also makes it into the packet dump file despite the explanation above in the kismet.conf file that says "filter_export - Controls what packets influence the exported CSV, network, xml, gps, etc files."

So can somone please explain to me the difference and how to really control what goes into the dump files?

Thanks

Reply to this message