Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Habakster
Subject:what are "noise" packets?
Date:10:38:43 23/08/2008

I'm asking because I think that not all the packets that are received by my NIC are dumped in the logs. Especially a lot of data packets seem to be missing: I'm testing this on two laptops, one generates some traffic the other runs kismet (statically on the same channel), but it captures almost none of the data packets. I get beacons, probes, etc., though. I'm using an atheros card with madwifi drivers. What puzzles me is that iwconfig tells me that the number of packets received over the wifi0 interface is always counting faster than over the kis0 interface (see below), especially when there is a lot of data traffic. Shouldn't the number of "RX packets" be identical?

Thanks,
H.

kis0 Link encap:UNSPEC
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2566 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:368791 (360.1 KB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5339 errors:0 dropped:70 overruns:0 frame:2764
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:280
RX bytes:654700 (639.3 KB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:21

> > The kismet.conf includes a parameter "noiselog" with a default value of "false". The comment says:
> >
> > # Do we log "noise" packets that we can't decipher? I tend to not, since
> > # they don't have anything interesting at all in them.
> >
> > My question is: what exactly are "noise" packets? They are not just corrupt packets, because there is yet another parameter "corruptlog" that defines whether corrupt packets are logged. If corrupt packets are those that don't pass the CRC check, what are "noise" packets then?
> > Thank you,
> > H.
>
> Some drivers (old cisco) returned weird frames.
>
> -m

Reply to this message