Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:RNewman
Subject:Trying to obtain signal strength
Date:07:14:55 02/05/2008

> > Hi All,
Thanks for the clarification, albeit disappointing. Sounds like the source type wrt54g will not work for what I'm looking for. So will either the bcm43xx, or b44 source types work with the BCM4318 wireless controller chip? And do they provide signal strength?

-Richard

> > I have a ASUS WL-500G Premium wireless router running OpenWrt. Through many trials and errors I have managed to get kismet up and running, both in a server mode and in a drone mode. What I have been unable to obtain is signal strength. From the information returned by iwlist wl0 scanning, signal strength information is possible and being returned by the wireless driver.
>
> No. Signal strength is being returned in scan mode. This has NOTHING to do with signal strength in rfmon mode.
>
> > I'm sure I have something missconfigured but much searching on google and the forums both here and on OpenWrt have turned up nothing. Currently the only way I can get kismet to run is to have the source configured as source=wrt54g,prism0,wireless. Also I have configured horst to run on the router as well. This program does give signal strength so I know it is possible.
> >
>
> Wrt54 doesn't return per-packet signal data.
>
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, signal strength data in rfmon (and to a lesser degree in normal mode) is made-up nonsense with no direct bearing on reality, see previous rants on this subject.
>
> -m

Reply to this message