Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:ab-uc
Subject:Authentication packets but no data?
Date:08:43:20 05/03/2008

Trying to troubleshoot some problems using two laptops; one is wireless client and one is Backtrack 2 CD boot. On the client, I initiate the connection, authenticate, do some pings, web browse, telnet, and disconnect.

In the Kismet .dump file, I see the client association, authentication (EAP/PEAP), and five "data" packets, however, I see no further data packets for the pings, www, and telnet traffic. When I do a connect-only without pings, etc., I still consistently get five data packets, so I should be seeing more for the pings, etc.

I've tried using on-board Dell 1490 (Broadcom BRCM94311MCAG) and PCMCIA Roamabout 802.11DS but both give the same results.

How can I verify that I'm not channel hopping? I use L on the tagged AP and I do see the message that channel is locked onto channel 6.

I understand that the card may not be capturing everything, but I consistently see the same packets, just no data after the client is connected. Am I missing a setting?

I understand the card might be a problem (some cards don't capture everything?), but I thought the Roamabout should work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice!

Reply to this message