Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Dutch
Subject:Windows + Linksys Drone = complete setup?
Date:05:45:34 22/01/2008

> Hi, I have searched all threads I could find relating to Windows, and have read the readme from top to bottom but the Windows scenario is still a bit grey for me.
>
> My equipment consists of:
> - Linksys router with hacked firmware
> - Windows XP32/Vista64 box
> - Netgear/Netcomm 54g card
>
> For a complete Kismet setup, which I can monitor/capture data do I need to set the Linksys up as a Drone or Kismet Server (can it be both)?

Unless you have hacked your Linksys to add additional external storage in the form of forinstance an SD card, I wouldn't run it as a server, only as a Drone. The Server needs to store the logged data, the Drone serves it to the computer running the Kismet server, whether that is in a Cygwin, Mac, Linux, or BSD environment. Look at it as a Drone being a (remote) network interface that the server gets data from, just like it can get data from a locally attached and compatible WiFi NIC.

> And also, can I use KisWin to capture/monitor data or do I need the Cygwin Kismet version?

The KisWin package is actually the necessary Cygwin files and the Cygwin compiled kismet binary packaged into an installer, for your comfort and laziness.

Dutch

Reply to this message