Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Interfaces not tidied up (kismet-newcore)
Date:17:20:40 22/07/2007

> I'm running ubuntu and in general I've been using the stable version of kismet, available in the ubuntu repositories, with no problems.
>
> I grabbed a copy of the newcore sources to give them a try and ran into a couple of bugs. It compiled ok, and first run worked as expected, however when I exited kismet my network interfaces weren't as I left them.
>
> I've got an atheros card that usually has the interfaces ath0 and wifi0. After exiting kismet I end up with kis0 and wifi0. Removing the ath_pci module and re adding it returns my usual interfaces (modprobe -r ath_pci && modprobe ath_pci). I'm not sure if there's a simpler way of fixing this without rebooting? Also, on subsequent runs, kismet isn't capturing any packets, even after rebooting.
>
> I thought I'd mention it as I haven't seen it listed as a known bug.

It's not a bug, it's "madwifi-ng sucks for rfmon". There is no way to add rfmon without destroying all existing VAPs. Not shutting down, not disabling, but destroying the interface.

There is no good way to snapshot every possible state tied to the interface - iptables rules, static arp, routes, traffic shaping, etc, etc, etc, so if you use madwifi-ng and want to do anything involving changing interface modes, you're going to have to reconfigure your networking from the ground up when you're done.

I see no way to avoid this, so while it probably deserves more comments in the documentation, I don't consider it a bug -- expect this to remain as is.

(Arguably, Kismet could at least tear down the kis0 interface, I'm actually not sure why this doesn't happen already, I'll at least look into that.) It definitely WON'T bring back any interfaces you had before.

Expect this to become the behavior in Stable, as well, because mw-ng doesn't work properly with non-rfmon vaps, so kismet will have to tear them down in stable, too.

Sorry,

-m

Reply to this message