Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:ronanmagee
Subject:Kismet Drivers
Date:00:08:04 13/06/2007

Cheers Dutch,

gonna go with ... if it aint broke approach!

Ronan

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > just wanted some general info.
> >
> > I have a Lucent orinoco silver card and Kismet-2007-01-R1b.
> >
> > Just wondering if I there is any advantage to updating the drivers and if so which drivers should I go for?
> >
> > I'm running ubuntu feist fawn as well with kernel 2.6.20-16 on a HP nx6325.
> >
> > Is rfmon not already supported in this latest release ... I have no problems changing my card manually between managed and monitor mode.
> >
> > Any advice greatly appreciated,
>
> http://www.kismetwireless.net/HOWTO-orinoco-drivers.txt Section 6.
>
> It all depends on the firmware of your ORiNOCO Classic card. Please note there is also a ORiNOCO non-classic card, which isn't based on the Hermes chipset, but on the Atheros chipset.
>
> If rfmon works with the kernel supplied orinoco driver, then by all means use that. Just note that if you update the firmware at a later date, i.e. in order to use WPA with the card on the Windows platform, it will break rfmon support in the kernel supplied orinoco driver.
>
> Personally I've compiled 2.6.17x 0.13e standalone driverpackage dragorn has supplied here, and use it on my Debian Etch box (kernel 2.6.18-4) as well as on my Debian Sarge box (kernel 2.6.17-8). Haven't had any problems with that driver version. And you know what they say : " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)
>
> Dutch

Reply to this message