Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Openbsd 4.0, macppc platform, rum driver
Date:20:50:17 16/03/2007

> Hi - I was wondering if anyone had any pointers in getting kismet up and running on openbsd on the ppc platform. I've got a spare ibook G3 sitting around, plus a couple USB wireless adapters that use the 'rum' driver for openbsd (would be the ralink 2573 chipset).
>
> Unfortunately when I run kismet, no wireless networks show up, when there should be at least 3-4 in my neighborhood. I've run kismet on a linux desktop using these same adapters with no major issues, and am able to pick up a number of networks that way. Under Openbsd, kismet (or the driver) seems to be stuck at a certain wireless channel, and not channel hopping. The kismet.conf file looks like it's set right, with the source as 'source=radiotap_bsd_b,rum0,radiotap_bsd_b', and not much else changed. tcpdump running with options I've seen mentioned in other posts also doesn't seem to pick up any packets.
>
> I haven't played around too much yet with any extra options to ifconfig other than explicitly setting monitor mode. The only other thing I can think of would be using the '-chan' option... I kinda figure I'm not setting something right with ifconfig, or possibly my setting up the adapter via ifconfig is causing the problem.

You've done a good job trying most of the possibilities.

Kismet ought to throw it in rfmon regardless of the state you set it to in ifconfig.

Try tcpdump - put the driver in rfmon, and fire up tcpdump and see what you get. If you don't get anything, it's a driver problem. If you get packets and kismet doesn't, save a snap of them via tcpdump -s 0 to get the full frame, gzip them up, and email me or post a URL. They might be formatted in a way Kismet wasn't able to handle.

-m

Reply to this message