Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:jago25
Subject:Diag WIFI, The Black Art
Date:17:53:11 24/12/2006

If I ping a connection and a packet doesn't get through how would you guys figure out why it didn't get through?

I thought I knew what I was doing.

I even got selected for a job developing linux WIFI nodes.

But when I think I've got it nailed I discover dropped packets.

At home I noticed a problem with a connection through 3 floors after trying VoIP; 2 sec timeouts approximately every minute.
At my parents again we're getting dropped packets, slow connection, can't see a pattern to it and this is with my own hardware that I know to be very good, laptops and PDAs effected.
At my girlfriends the connection there isn't great, it doesn't make it through 2 walls and packet loss there too.
At work the test WIFI network (used for testing WIFI pci cards) is also patchy and the router is right next to the laptops being tested!). So it rubbish everywhere apart from when I was using good hardware at home with linux firmware on it.

I've read buckets about WIFI but I'm still finding it hard to diagnose problems.

I know all the usual tricks, but I'd like to get to a lower level and figure out how I can get below TCP/IP to bypass anything that that level is throwing into it... and figure out how to sort out WIFI!

For example, if I ping a connection and a packet doesn't get through how would you guys figure out why it didn't get through?

Any tips or pointers?

Reply to this message