Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:robincornelius
Subject:Devicescape 80211 stack and wireless extensions
Date:15:41:18 04/09/2006

> Currently theres no support for dscape stuff, correct. There probbaly won't be until either it stabilizes and the driver models can co-exist (ie, I can use my internal centrino on a modern driver plus dscape plus the kernel IEEE) or until I get my other laptop reinstalled and ignore the internal wireless entirely. I'm not willing to cripple my ability to use my standard laptop.
>

Will the stuff really not play together at all?. I know its not in the main kernel yet but we supply a version with our experimental driver and it dosn't seem to effect anything else but i haven't really tried.

> Yeah, no. Feel free, but I won't merge that in. This is primarily a user problem: Users never pick generic properly, and it's not worth the hassle that will ensue. Kismet has had generic options in the past, and I don't thinK I'm likely to ever add them again. The secondary reason is that different drivers still behave differently. Things are begining to unify, but I don't have a lot of confidence yet in things like FCS bytes, etc.
>

Ok I will have a hack but i will subclass a rt2x00 driver and as you say it will be minimal code added. We have quite a few testers on rt2x00 now and we seem to be making good progress so would you consider adding a rt2x00 driver in addition to the rt2400 and rt2500 you already have?

Best regards

Robin

Reply to this message