Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Devicescape 80211 stack and wireless extensions
Date:15:24:16 04/09/2006

>
> Hi Guys,
>
> There is a change to the sequence for taking a card into monitor mode when using the dscape80211 stack and latest wireless extensions. It is necessary to take the card into monitor mode when the net interface is down. Currently the code takes cards into monitor mode after the interface is brought up which is rejected by dscape code and kismet won't start.

Currently theres no support for dscape stuff, correct. There probbaly won't be until either it stabilizes and the driver models can co-exist (ie, I can use my internal centrino on a modern driver plus dscape plus the kernel IEEE) or until I get my other laptop reinstalled and ignore the internal wireless entirely. I'm not willing to cripple my ability to use my standard laptop.

Ultimately, however, it's a simple matter. On kismet-stable, you add functions for the ops under the netlink control and add new _monitor _unmonitor and _chanchange functions. Under kismet-newcore, you subclass a new packetsource similar to packetsource_pcapwext and set the functions appropriately again. In neither case, currently, should you eliminate the current wext control functions.

> I am having a hack in the kismet code to see what can be done but prehapse the best solution would be to introduce a generic wireless extension capture source so that any drivers that are ported to the dscape stack will just work without any iwpriv etc stuff.

Yeah, no. Feel free, but I won't merge that in. This is primarily a user problem: Users never pick generic properly, and it's not worth the hassle that will ensue. Kismet has had generic options in the past, and I don't thinK I'm likely to ever add them again. The secondary reason is that different drivers still behave differently. Things are begining to unify, but I don't have a lot of confidence yet in things like FCS bytes, etc.

The amount of code to make multiple names for one control interface is super minimal (like, 1 line if they're truly identical). No generic sources.

-m

Reply to this message