Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:wareagle
Subject:Toshiba/Agere 802.11b card on Knoppix
Date:22:01:27 19/08/2006

Knoppix detects my Agere wireless card, but I am having trouble getting it to work with Kismet.

I am able to use the WildPackets driver in Windows XP with airodump (which comes with aircrack) to capture packets.

It *may* be the same chipset as this person has: http://www.kismetwireless.net/Forum/General/Messages/1124917531.2546971

I believe it is an Orinoco chip. I changed only the following line in kismet.conf:
source=orinoco,eth1,toshiba

I also tried using madwifi_b.

It gives me an error about trying to set it into monitor mode, and the command being unsupported.

I can't find the link to the readme file for the WildPackets driver, so I have pasted it below.

Any idea how I can fix this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agere Systems 7.82 NDIS 5.x Miniport Driver Readme

This document provides information specific to WildPackets experience with the Agere Systems 7.82 NDIS 5.x Miniport Driver and is meant to supplement documentation provided by Agere Systems.
General

This file describes the process of installing the Agere Systems 7.82 NDIS 5.x Miniport driver. This Agere driver was tested by WildPackets for the following adapters:

* Agere 802.11b PC Card
* Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Mini PCI Card (Supported on XP Only)
* ORiNOCO PC Card (5 volt)
* RoamAbout 802.11 DS (Enterasys)
* Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

The Agere NDIS driver should also support, but has not been tested by WildPackets, the following adapters:

* 2Wire Wireless PC Card
* Avaya Wireless PC Card
* Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11/GP Wireless LAN Adapter
* Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11G Wireless LAN Adapter
* Compaq WL110 PC Card
* connect2Air WLAN E-1100 PC-Card
* Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Card
* D-Link Air DWL-660 Wireless PC Card
* ELSA AirLancer MC-11
* ELSA Vianect WLAN MC-11
* Fujitsu 802.11b Wireless LAN Adapter (A)
* I-Gate 11M PC Card
* Joynet WLAN PC Card
* LANCOM Systems AirLancer MC-11
* NCR WaveLAN/IEEE PC Card
* NEC Corporation Wireless PC Card
* Onair PC Card (INT)
* Onair PC Card (EMB)
* ORiNOCO Mini PCI Card
* ORiNOCO Integrated Card
* ORiNOCO PCI Card
* RoamAbout 802.11 DS
* Samsung SEW-2001p Card
* Samsung SEW-2001m Card
* Samsung SEW-2001u Card
* Samsung SEW-2003u Card
* Skyward PC Card
* Sony PCWA-C100 Wireless PC Card
* Sony PCWA-C150 Wireless PC Card
* SPEED TOUCH PC Card
* Toshiba Wireless LAN Card
* WARPSTAR WL11C (PC-WL/1C)
* Westell 802.11b PC Card

Note: Please refer to http://www.wildpackets.com/support/hardware/airopeek or to http://www.wildpackets.com/support/hardware/airopeek_nx for an up-to-date list of supported adapters.
Installation

Please see below for specific instructions for installing the Agere driver by going to the section for your operating system.

* Windows XP
* Windows 2000

Uninstallation

To uninstall the Agere version of the driver, reinstall your original OEM drivers.
Installation Notes for Windows XP

IMPORTANT!
You must first install and test the adapter with the OEM drivers. Do not install this Agere driver until the card is functioning properly on your network.

Install AiroPeek or AiroPeek NX if it is not already installed.

To upgrade the driver, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Start | Connect To | Show all connections.
2. Select the appropriate connection, right-click on it, and select properties.
3. Click on Configure, the Driver tab, and then on Update driver.
4. Click on 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)', and then on Next.
5. Click on 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.' and then on Next.
6. Click the Have Disk button.
7. If you received the Agere driver independently from the program, downloaded from the WildPackets website for instance, then browse to the folder where you unzipped the driver and select the WLAGSALL.inf file. Otherwise, browse to the directory where you installed the program plus the subdirectory "Driver\Agere\v.7.82.0.354" and select the WLAGSALL.inf file (for example C:\Program Files\WildPackets\AiroPeek\Driver\Agere\v.7.82.0.354).
8. Click on Open and then OK.
9. Choose the appropriate manufacturer and network adapter and click on Next.
10. Click on Yes to continue the installation when you receive the message saying "Installing this driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware."
11. Click on 'Continue Anyway' to continue the installation when you receive the message saying "The software you are installing for this hardware: '...' has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP."
12. If asked for file "WLAGS48B.sys", browse again to the directory in step 6 or choose it from the popup list.
13. Click on Finish to complete the installation and close the properties window.
14. Reboot system in order to initialize the new driver.

To configure AiroPeek, follow these steps:

1. Launch AiroPeek or AiroPeek NX and select your wireless adapter.
2. Navigate to Capture/Capture Options and click the 802.11 tab.
3. Select the Number radio button and then choose the appropriate channel from the drop-down list.
4. If you are using WEP, click Edit Key Sets... and then Insert....
5. Name the key set, select the encryption algorithm (64, 128), and enter the WEP keys in the appropriate key fields.
6. Click OK to save the Key set, and then OK to close the window.
7. Select your key set from the drop-down list and then click OK to accept the 802.11 settings.

Technical Notes for Windows XP:
IMPORTANT!

1. If your laptop has a built-in Agere card and you are also using an Agere Cardbus, installation order is important. You must update the internal card first. If you update the external card first, the "wireless network" configuration profile button may not appear in the control panel and/or may give a false "the driver is the wrong version! Please reinstall the driver" error message.

Installation Notes for Windows 2000

IMPORTANT!
You must first install and test the adapter with the OEM drivers. Do not install this Agere driver until the card is functioning properly on your network.

Install AiroPeek or AiroPeek NX if it is not already installed.

To upgrade the driver, follow these steps:

1. Go to Start Menu | Settings | Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Select the appropriate connection, right-click on it, and select properties.
3. Click Configure, the Driver tab, and then Update Driver.
4. Click Next, "Display a list of the known drivers for this device...", and then click Next.
5. Click the Have Disk button.
6. If you received the Agere driver independently from the program (for example, downloaded from the WildPackets website), then browse to the folder where you unzipped the driver and select the WLAGSALL.inf file. Otherwise browse to the directory where you installed the program plus the subdirectory "Driver\Agere\v.7.82.0.354" and select the WLAGSALL.inf file (for example C:\Program Files\WildPackets\AiroPeek\Driver\Agere\v.7.82.0.354).
7. Click Open and then OK.
8. Choose the appropriate manufacturer and network adapter and click Next (twice).
9. Click Yes to continue the installation when you receive the message saying "Digital Signature was Not Found".
10. If asked for file "WLAGS48B.SYS", browse again to the directory in step 6 or choose it from the popup list.
11. At this point the Add/Edit Configuration Profile dialog may open; you may add and/or edit your wireless configuration profiles here and when finished click OK.
12. Click Finish to complete the installation and close the properties window.
13. Reboot system in order to initialize the new driver.

To configure AiroPeek, follow these steps:

1. Launch AiroPeek or AiroPeek NX and select your wireless adapter.
2. Navigate to Capture/Capture Options and click the 802.11 tab.
3. Select the Number radio button and then choose the appropriate channel from the drop-down list.
4. If you are using WEP, click Edit Key Sets... and then Insert....
5. Name the key set, select the encryption algorithm (64, 128), and enter the WEP keys in the appropriate key fields.
6. Click OK to save the Key set, and then OK to close the window.
7. Select your key set from the drop-down list and then click OK to accept the 802.11 settings.

Technical Notes for Windows 2000:
IMPORTANT!

1. If you intend to configure the adapter for use of network services when not using AiroPeek, you will need to go to the Control Panel after you have finished updating the driver and run the "Wireless Network" configuration profile. Note: If the "Wireless Network" configuration profile is not there, copy "wnags48b.cpl" from the new unzipped Win2K driver folder and paste into c:\WINNT\system32 folder.
2. If your laptop has a built-in Agere card and you are also using an Agere Cardbus, installation order is important. You must update the internal card first. If you update the external card first, the "wireless network" configuration profile button may not appear in the control panel and/or may give a false "the driver is the wrong version! Please reinstall the driver" error message.

Technical Notes for Release
IMPORTANT!

1. The Agere Systems 7.82 NDIS 5.x Miniport Driver does not support the dBm and noise features of AiroPeek / AiroPeek NX 2.0.

WildPackets, Inc.
1340 Treat Blvd., Suite 500
Walnut Creek CA 94597
(925) 937-3200
http://www.wildpackets.com/support/contact

Copyright © 2002 Agere Systems, Inc.
Copyright © 2003 WildPackets, Inc.

Reply to this message