Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:jm
Subject:WiSpy running problem in FC3 & FC5
Date:08:15:24 17/08/2006

Hi,
I've downloaded the latest wispy drivers from svn.kismetwireless.net.

On both my FC3 and FC5 boxes, the compile runs smoothly.

Problem occurs when we run ./wispy_gtk or ./wispy_curses.
The error message received is:

"Unable to claim interface 0 --are you root?
Is something else using it (another program or the kernel HID)?"

Checked with "hidd --show" and there was nothing listed as being grabbed.
Did "killall hidd" just to be sure. Problem still there.

Did a lsmod and there was no module listed (take this as normal since kudzu did not run when i plugged the wispy in - should kudzu be run??)
Running kudzu showed the wispy detected as a keyboard and kudzu attempted to configure as such. Problem still there after this so i reversed this step and rebooted.

After reboot, everything was the same prior to running kudzu so i did a lsusb and the device is listed as detected: "Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1781:083e"

Did a check against how windows detects it and found that it doesn't get listed as a device in the usb device taskbar icon. Thus it seems that the wispy must not be listed as detected in the GUI in order for the software application (either the windows software that comes with the wispy, or the one from kismetwireless) to hook it and use it.

End result: i still can't get the wispy to work under FC3 or FC5. Took a look at the wispy_gtk.c file but because i'm not a coder, not much i can do there.

Questions:

1. Is there a command which i can issue in a terminal (command line) to forcefully do the detach from the kernel?

2. If not, then must i recompile the kernel and explicitly disable any support for HID? (but that would affect my USB bluetooth dongle and thumbdrive, no?)

3. Is there an RPM upgrade which i can install (not full kernel upgrade, just a module upgrade) in order to enable this detach driver thingy?

Thanks for any help you can render. It's getting a quite irritating not having this thing work for my laptop (no windows on it)... :)

Reply to this message