Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:KidR
Subject:Kismet on rt61
Date:19:15:44 26/07/2006

> > I have some problem with the configure file for kismet. I have a pci device Ralink rt61.
> > I don't know what insert in the "source" line...
> > This is the error FATAL: Unknown capture source type...
> > Thanks
> >
> > Millo
> 1) Use Google to find out which Ralink chipset your device uses. It's in the first link, when searching for "ralink RT61", and it even states which chipset the device uses, in the Google excerpt from the page.
> 2) Read the Kismet documentation, found by clicking on "Documentation" at the top of the page you are viewing now. Pay particular note to section 12.
> If you followed step 1 listed above, and the advice given in the step 2, you should be able to figure out what to put in the source statement in kismet.conf. If you can't, then chances are that using kismet will be way over your current level of computer knowledge.
> Dutch

I have the same problem as Millo, and I when I read your solution, I felt pretty sure it would not work. This is because RT61 IS the chipset, not the RT2500 you are suggesting, or at least that is what I have been led to believe. But just to be sure I tried putting RT2500 as the source type, and got this:

Source 0 (rt61): Enabling monitor mode for rt2500 source interface ra0 channel 6...
FATAL: Failed to set monitor mode: Invalid argument. This usually means your drivers either do not support monitor mode, or use a different mechanism for getting to it. Make sure you have a version of your drivers that support monitor mode, and consult the troubleshooting section of the README.

So I consulted the troubleshooting section of the README. It said "it means that the wrong interface was specified, the wrong capture type is being used, or most commonly, the drivers you are using have not been patched or the patched drivers are not being loaded."

Help would be appreciated.

Reply to this message