Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:kyle01
Subject:ipwlivetap: can't get it to work with ipw2200 driver ver. 1.1.3 (unpatched)
Date:11:42:23 13/06/2006

Hello!

Today, I tried to get the ipwlivetap source working with my ipw2200 card.

I compiled and installed Kismet-2006-04-R1 (stable release) from source.

My system is basically a fresh install of Ubuntu 6.06 (Kernel 2.6.15-23-386). In addition, I downloaded and installed the newest stable releases of the ipw & ieee80211 drivers from sf.net (currently, ipw2200-1.1.3 and ieee80211-1.1.14). Basically, this seems to work quite fine (kismet capture possible with ipw2200 source).

I assumed that no special patches are required any more for the rtap interface, as I can bring it up by loading the ipw module with rtap_iface=1 and also see some packets flowing over it when capturing with ethereal. With Kismet however, I had no luck:
------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel.
Source 0 (ipw2200-livetap): Enabling monitor mode for ipwlivetap source interface rtap0 channel 0...
FATAL: Failed to open ipw sysfs tap control file, check that the version of the ipw drivers you are running is recent enough, and that your system has sysfs properly set up.
-------------------------------------------------------

here is my config:
source=ipw2200,eth1,ipw2200-regular
source=ipwlivetap,rtap0,ipw2200-livetap

enablesources=ipw2200-livetap

Can you tell me why this happens? Do I need to apply a patch to the ipw driver? What is the ipw sysfs tap control file? I assume something like: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw2200/0000:02:02.0/rtap_iface but I can't figure out what should be wrong with that...

Thanks for your help & best regards,
Kyle.

Reply to this message