Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:kismet as distributed IDS
Date:18:14:57 05/05/2006

> I'm wondering is there any documentation with good sample of Kismet configuration as distributed IDS?
>
> What i want to do is to make wireless ids system with sensors and one centralized server, which receives all information from sensors.
> Sensors will be Linux based system with kismet - small nice routerboards from mikrotik ltd. And Server with own made GUI frontend... It's for beginning...
> but for the moment i need as more documenation as i can get...
>
> Thank You for Your understanding.

Your best bet for now is to use drones to disperse the sensors. Kismet-newcore has much better drone support and one of my targets for it was distributed IDS style stuff, so it also has dynamic drone adding, and the ability for the server to act as a drone so you can do "heavy" drones which have no local logging but which can run plugins, etc to take action.

Newcore is, as always, still under development (one step forward, three back it seems lately) but I'll be using the system this summer to do the wireless for the Hope conference and releasing the distributed IDS/AP system code soon after (for real, this time, since it won't be hacked up at the last moment).

-m

Reply to this message