Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:Kismet stops recording data (and working) after 5-10 min of use
Date:03:56:12 28/03/2006

> The problem I have is that Kismet after 2-10ish minutes of running will stop recording data. The elapsd time is moving, the Madwif ch is hopping around but the packets stop and I can no longer see any new data. When this happens it's like the wifi card is turned off. If I shutdown kismet and start up airodump it will no longer see anything either. So to fix this problem I turn the card off (ifconfig ath1 down) and then back on (ifconfig ath1 up) and then everything is working just find again... till I run kismet for 2-10ish minutes. I have 3+ gig's of space where the data is being stored. Here is what the screen shows after I exit Kismet:

> Starting UI...
> Looking for startup info from localhost:2501.... found.
> Connected to Kismet server 2005.08.R1 on localhost:2501
> Reading AP manufacturer data and defaults from /usr/local/etc/ap_manuf
> Reading client manufacturer data and defaults from /usr/local/etc/client_manuf
> Killing server...
> Didn't detect any Cisco Discovery Packets, unlinking cisco dump
> Didn't see any weak encryption packets, unlinking weak file
> /usr/local/bin/kismet: line 77: 7515 Segmentation fault ${BIN}/kismet_server --silent $server
> Kismet exited.

Initially it sounds like you either have dhcp or similar running which kills the interface, or the drivers are just plain freaking out.

The segfault is of more interest, but it's happening during shutdown mode -- it's already unlinking files and closing, which means it's happening during the card shutdown. This reinforces the idea that something has gone funny in the drivers.

If you want to be really helpful, fire up a standalone kismet_server in gdb, preferably using the unstripped binary (ie, the binary in your source dir, not the one installed via make install) and post both the initial crash message and the output of 'bt' in gdb.

-m

Reply to this message