Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:Bert
Subject:Kismet compile fails at make install
Date:12:24:38 16/03/2006

I take it everything is ok now and kismet is working for you??

> I succeeded in getting the Netgear WG111v2 wireless USB adapter with RTL8187 chipset to work with the GPL driver from Andrea Merello in Kismet-2005-08-R1 compiled from source.
>
> A couple of things that led to success during compile and configuration:
>
> 1. libncurses5-dev had to be installed
> 2. In Xandros (a Debian variant) I had to create a symlink
> ln -s /usr/share/man /usr/local
> 3. The capture source config setting should be "source=rt8180,wlan0,....", rather than "source=rt8180,ethX,......", as suggested in the current Kismet Readme.
>
>
> To Bert who was trying to help me ....
>
> During make install the compiler directive
>
> mkdir -p /usr/local/man/man1
>
> failed with the message "mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/man': File exists".
>
> The reason was that in my Xandros/Debian system, in /usr/local/ there is a symbolic link "man".
> ls -l produces this about it:
>
> # ls -l /usr/local/man
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 9 2005-06-25 04:41 /usr/local/man -> share/man
>
> In the KDE file manager GUI, the icon associated with this link is a chain with three links, the middle link of which is open. This icon is different from the icon associated with practically all the other symlinks I see in File Manager which is a rectangular upright sheet with a quarter turn curved arrow in the lower left corner.
>
> There is a directory /usr/local/share/ but it has no file or directory man in it. Hence, this strange link /usr/local/man -> share/man appears to be a dead link. I've got no idea which program put it there.
>
> There is a directory /usr/share/man which contains all the manpages in folders man1 through man9, and the directory /usr/share/man/man1 is undoubtedly the directory that the compiler is trying to access.
>
> Anyway, to fix this situation, I did the following in /usr/local/ :
>
> mv man xman (to rename the troublesome link)
> ln -s /usr/share/man /usr/local (to create the link man -> /usr/share/man in /usr/local that would be needed by the compiler)
>
> The icon associated with this link is a folder with a quarter turn arrow in the lower left corner.
>
> This fixed the aborted make install process. make install proceeded to completion, and I wound up with a working Kismet.
>
> I'm feeling a little queezy about taking the original "man" link out of circulation (by renaming it) and putting another one in its place. What was the original nonstandard link (with the broken chain icon) doing? Any comments about this link? Have I disrupted some program? Is there some way I can tell the compiler to redirect from /usr/local to /usr/share during make install rather than my doing it by setting up a new link?
>
> Robert

Reply to this message