Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:GPSMap & plotted networks. Thoughts?
Date:21:32:04 17/01/2006

> Is there an easy way to determine what networks are going to be plotted when you use gpsmap? The reason I'm asking is that my latest drive was for a site survey, and I ended up with 1448 networks. I've narrowed this down to a map and it will plot out a total of 319. I also have a report that is generated from the xml files of each individual network, comparable to klv.
> Where I differed from that, is before anything else, I am overwritting the 'info' node content with a sequential number on the xml file, and base my map & report on that. i.e. I display the 'info' on gpsmap, and can easily look at my report, look up the network info number, and see it's details.
> I could cut my report to 319 entries if I knew which ones would be plotted. I guess I'm wondering if the kismet xml file could include another field, say 'mapped', and gpsmap would update the raw xml as it processes it and set that field to 'true' or 'false' if the network is in fact going to be on the map.
> Any thoughts? I haven't done much in the way of *nix programming, but I'd certainly like to help where I could. Or if there's an easier way to do this, I'm all ears.

I certianly wouldn't want to runtime edit the XML file. One thing that has always been kicking around in my head is writing out some sort of meta file that has info about the map thats generated, perhaps even going to the level of per-pixel data so a dhtml overlay could tell exactly what networks are plotted at the current mouse location, but I haven't gotten to that yet, and to be honest, I'm not going to get to it for some while now because I'm swamped with newcore and some other stuff.

The easiest way, for now, would be if you edited the gpsmap code and went to where it prints all the network center points (I forget what the function is called, but it's pretty directly named) and throw in a printf that prints the network SSID when it draws the network center.

Reply to this message