Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragorn
Subject:WUSB12 + Orinoco Gold + Kismet Channel Hopping
Date:14:52:15 09/01/2006

> I've been able to configure and run dual sources with Kismet. I'm using an Orinoco classic Gold PCMCIA as source 1, plus Linksys WUSB12 as source 2. When running Kismet, the Orinoco shows it's channel hopping and picks up networks. The channel number under the WUSB12 doesn't change - it always stays steady on channel 3. Is this normal? I can't find an option to configure channelhopping a second source different from the first.
>
> When in the same location, the Orinoco will see 5 networks, while the Linksys will only see 2. I Thanks for any help you can send my way.

When 2 sources share the same spectrum (11b in this case) and channelsplit is turned on, it will split hopping over both (offset into the channel list so they're not on the same channel at the same time) and hop both.

For individually controlling sources, look at the config file, it's documented in the comments:

# Fine-tuning channel hopping control:
# The sourcechannels option can be used to set the channel hopping for
# specific interfaces, and to control what interfaces share a list of
# channels for split hopping. This can also be used to easily lock
# one card on a single channel while hopping with other cards.
# Any card without a sourcechannel definition will use the standard hopping
# list.
# sourcechannels=sourcename[,sourcename]:ch1,ch2,ch3,...chN

Anyway, by default both sources will hop pretty much as expected. If one is getting stuck, it's most likely some sort of driver problem, the USB drivers are often not as good.

As far as networks seen, the orinoco is a far superior card to the linksys, so that would account for some of it.

-m

Reply to this message