Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:chrismc
Subject:Building newcore for OpenWRT
Date:18:08:23 20/12/2005

I've followed your instructions for building with the OpenWRT SDK. Once I ignored the OpenWrt BuildingPackagesHowTo and just did it, it was pretty easy and errorfree. One thing I noticed is a difference between the binaries that I build and the binaries you've distributed in the OpenWrt .ipkg. Here is the one I just built using the commandset on the dev blog:

kismet_drone (newcore) size: 2887198
kismet_drone: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

And here is the one you built and distributed in the ipkg:

kismet_drone (2005-08-R1) size: 555028
kismet_drone: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

The one you built is much smaller, statically linked (which I though made bigger binaries), and stripped (which I'm not terribly familiar with). Now I know that the newcore is a completely different version than stable, but is it supposed to be that much bigger (or are the other options on the binary the reason why)?

I can't say that I've tested the binary yet (I'm at work, WRT is at home), but I have newcore compiled and starting (at least until it looks for sources) on my Mac and will try loading the drone this afternoon. Can I use the stable kismet_client to connect to the newcore kismet_server?

Sorry for all the questions, steep learning curve. I'm looking forward to trying this out!

Reply to this message