Kismet Wireless

Kismet Forums

Posted by:dragon57
Subject:2016-07-R1 Install on Debian VM issues
Date:10:04:46 26/02/2017

> You need to check config.log and see what is missing in libnl - it definitely won't be usable without it. You need something like libnl3-dev, libnl3-genl-dev, possibly others.
>
> > Hi,
> > Hoping someone could help me out. I am wanting to install the latest kismet on a Debian VM. I only want to run the server as i am hoping to have drones setup and I dont need any wifi support as all the data will come from drones.
> >
> > I have installed the latest 2016-07-r1 package and ran ./configure after installing loads of other packages have finally got it to run without errors but the next step I read to do the following.
> > #make dep
> > #make
> > #make install
> >
> > But I am getting errors such as this and it does not install. spent ages searching for how to get all the packages installed and this is how far I have now got. The below is the end result of the ./configure and then the errors on 'make dep' and 'make' would really appreciate anyone giving me a steer on this. To respond to I should install with apt-get install it installs the 2013 version and after reading some forums I read others have problems with different versions with drones so I want to go with the latest release.
> >
> > Configuration complete. Run 'make dep' to generate dependencies
> > and 'make' followed by 'make install' to compile and install.
> >
> > *** WARNING ***
> > LibNL/nl80211 support was not found. Kismet uses libnl to control
> > mac80211 based wireless interfaces, which comprise the vast majority of
> > interfaces on modern Linux systems. Unless you plan to use only
> > older drivers, you need libnl.
> > You need both the libnl libraries and development headers (called
> > libnl-dev or libnl-devel by most distributions).
> > root@debian:/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1# make dep
> > Generating dependencies...
> > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1'
> > make[2]: Entering directory '/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1'
> > make[2]: '.depend' is up to date.
> > make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1'
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1'
> > root@debian:/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1# make
> > g++ -I/usr/include/ncurses -Wall -g -O2 -c nl80211_control.cc -o nl80211_control.o
> > nl80211_control.cc: In function ‘nl_handle* nl_socket_alloc()’:
> > nl80211_control.cc:56:25: error: ‘nl_handle_alloc’ was not declared in this scope
> > return nl_handle_alloc();
> > ^
> > nl80211_control.cc: In function ‘void nl_socket_free(nl_handle*)’:
> > nl80211_control.cc:60:21: error: ‘nl_handle_destroy’ was not declared in this scope
> > nl_handle_destroy(h);
> > ^
> > nl80211_control.cc: In function ‘int __genl_ctrl_alloc_cache(nl_handle*, nl_cache**)’:
> > nl80211_control.cc:64:48: error: ‘genl_ctrl_alloc_cache’ was not declared in this scope
> > struct nl_cache *tmp = genl_ctrl_alloc_cache(h);
> > ^
> > Makefile:317: recipe for target 'nl80211_control.o' failed
> > make: *** [nl80211_control.o] Error 1
> > root@debian:/home/debian/kismet-2016-01-R1#

Thanks really appreciate your response - I didn't know to look in this config.log file so really helpful and another thing I now know. Looks like I have a few errors from what I can work out. I have installed or so i thought the libnl etc's in the config.log file I am getting this error first:

conftest.c:9:28: fatal error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
/include <ac_nonexistent.h>

googled it but seems to be a config error or something. Im a bit lost here

Reply to this message